Originally constructed in the 1920’s and open for play in 1926, Spring Valley CC (originally named “Our Country Club”) is one of the oldest in Southeast Wisconsin. Located just south of Salem WI and just north of Antioch, IL on route 83 it is a local favorite that, weather permitting, provides year round golf to the community.
Though not Long at 6354 yards by modern standards, this par 70 course, thanks to the brilliant design of renowned architects, Langford and Moreau, offers a challenge to golfers of all skill levels. Purposely designed so the five par 3’s of various lengths, the three par 5’s, the long par 4’s and the drivable par 4 14th hole force even the single digit handicapper to use every club in the bag.
The course architects, Langford and Moreau, built Spring Valley CC just before building what is believed to be their crowning achievement, Lawsonia CC, near Green Lake WI. Anyone who has played Lawsonia, ranked in the Top 100 public courses in the U.S. can see the similarities. Langford and Moreau builders of over 200 courses, mostly throughout the Midwest, believed that par should be protected near the green. Toward that end, the fairways are generous, the greens are multilayered and guarded by steep grass faced bunkers. Though the original plan called for 65 sand bunkers, the course’s first owner chose to leave them grass filled which has been honored to this day by the family that has owned the course since 1959.
Chicago architect, David Esler, said Spring Valley CC is like finding a vintage Porsche left in a barn untouched, the Langford and Moreau design has remained unaltered and is one of the best golf values in SE Wisconsin.
In addition to staying true to the original course design, Spring Valley CC has retained a retro charm, not only on the course but within the clubhouse and the pro shop, dating back to the time when your parents were avid golfers.